This is one of my favorite rice dishes from Ghana. It has the simplest ingredients but tastes so good. Ghanaians usually eat this rice with a meat sauce and any of these sides, sliced ripe avocado, shito, kelewele, wet garri, spaghetti and some vegetable salad. Here is a step by step guide for you to make this recipe yourself. Enjoy!
2 cups black eyed beans
2 cups rice
1 1/2 teaspoons bicarb of soda
4 tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
- Soak the black eyed beans in enough water to cover them overnight then cook them until just soft the following day or cook the dried beans in a pressure cooker for about 15-20 mins. You must ensure the beans are just getting soft and not mushy because they will continue cooking with the rice.
- Add the soda to the cooking beans. The soda will fizz once added so you might want to leave the lid off until this goes down (about 3 minutes). Season well with salt and add the oil.
- Now add your washed rice and mix it in thoroughly. If there isn’t enough liquid add a bit more enough to just cover the rice.
- Leave to cook until rice is soft, mixing with a fork half way through. The rice will get a darker colour as it cools down.
- Serve with your favourite stew, avocado or salad or any of the other sides mentioned above.